Tuesday, May 1, 2012

sewing project #1

Recently my mother-in-law was in town.  Let me tell u about her.  She is an awesome little Italian lady with all the qualities you expect to find in a little Italian lady.  She knows how to do everything (old school entrepreneur!). So I asked her to teach me how to sew and she couldn't have been happier! Of course, I also asked her to show me how to make her amazing tomato sauce and home made bread, which she also did.  But that is not as easy as sewing!

I have had an old sewing machine sitting in my garage for years and decided it was time to put it to use.  I have a little sewing background inherited from my mother, who made me plenty of dresses growing up.  Eventually,  I got sick of her dresses (whinny teenage voice) and refused to wear them.  She then stopped sewing for me out of "revenge". LOL!

Then I grew up and finally realized I could have had my own personal designer and all my clothes could have been "custom made"...

Anyway, those days are over and now its time for me to sew for my kids.  Ok, I'm starting small so bare with me.  I used a vintage mickey mouse tee shirt for this project.  I cut the sleeves off, shaped the neckline, cut the shoulders open to tie at top, and sewed both sides of the tee to fit my 18 month old daughter a little snugger. 

Here's the final outcome.  Let me know what you think!






5 comments: